Sunday 8 May 2016

Mother's Day bullshit

So some idiot website I've never heard of published a Mother's Day article that pissed me off, so I'm going to respond to it here.


This Sunday, as we all pause to honor the mothers in our lives, 

Just FYI, my youngest came with me to Costco today. On a Sunday. Yes, Costco on a Sunday. It was a nightmare. And he carried $400 worth of groceries from the car to the house. My oldest brought me a bowl of my favorite soup from Subway last night so I could have a nice breakfast today. My daughter sent me double rent. This all, despite me having forgotten that it was Mother's Day today.

I have words of advice for men observing the day with the mother of their children: Do more. 

Why? You're not his mother. 
Okay, that was a bit flip, but if your husband isn't putting in an equal effort, then one day a year of going above and beyond isn't going to make you happy. 

If you’re debating between a spa gift certificate and flowers, get both. If you were planning to take the kids out in the morning so she could rest, take them out for the afternoon, too.

I feel like I must be some kind of alien. I was happy with warmed over Subway tomato basil soup for breakfast, some help carrying in a metric fuck ton of groceries, and some cash. What would I do with a spa certificate? How long would a bouquet of flowers sit dropping dead petals before I felt compelled to toss it in the trash? And why would I want to avoid my kids on Mother's Day? 

Isn't celebrating my relationship with my kids the whole point of the day? 

Mother’s Day should be the biggest holiday of the year, and it’s time moms said so.

You'll have to forgive me if I don't agree. Being a mother isn't easy. But it doesn't deserve anything special. You chose to become a mother. Presumably, you chose to become a mother because it was what you wanted to be. That being a mother isn't always easy doesn't mean it wasn't your choice. 

Basically, you're demanding that your decision to do what you wanted to do be celebrated by everyone above any other celebration, simply because that decision involves some degree of work, inconvenience and sacrifice.

That being a mother is and should be respected and acknowledged as a job at least as important as any other, is one thing. Demanding that it be respected and acknowledged above and beyond any other endeavor--like, you know, risking one's life in war (Veteran's Day) or giving one's life in war (Memorial Day)--is beyond silly. 

Think about the great dads you know. Easy, right? 

Yes. Yes it is. Part of why it's easy for me is because many of the great dads I know did not change diapers, did not burp babies, did not play catch with the kids in the backyard, did not give baths or jiggle colicky infants on their knees. 

Do you know what my dad was doing when I walked across the stage at my Grade 9 "junior high leaving ceremony"? He was en route to Swan Hills, 250km from where we lived. While I was attending the dance, and my mother was worrying whether I'd be home by curfew, he was on his back on the shoulder of a highway in the rain and the dark, with a flashlight in his teeth, underneath a Peterbilt, trying to figure out what was wrong with it. He'd bought a ticket, and I know he'd have loved to be there with me, to watch me walk across the stage in the dress my mom made for me, but work called him away. 

And since his work paid the lion's share of everything, including the taffeta for the dress my mother made for me, and the shoes, and the everything else, he missed my leaving ceremony. I got home that night before he did, and I waited up for him. He staggered to bed around 2AM, and was up again at 6 to be at work at 7:30, because that's what he did.

This is the difference between the way mothers like you and fathers like mine view things. 

You complain about how many of those moments you "have" to spend with your kids. Their fathers don't complain about how few of those moments they "get" to spend with their kids. They just do what it takes to make sure you're able to have those moments, as many of them as you want, so many of them that you take them for granted and even resent them.

You probably could come up with some right away. The ones who stand out because they do drop-off at school or cheer at Little League games. 
Whatever happened to kids walking to school? Whatever happened to unstructured free play in nature--you know, boot the kid out the door and tell him to be home when the streetlights come on?

The ones who give baths or read books. 

Is it TMI to say I used to have baths with my dad, up until I was about 4 or 5? It was a way to spend time together. To fit some time together into his schedule, when his schedule more often than not meant that he was gone more than 12 hours of every day. And no, he was never much for reading me books, but he did teach me the ins and outs of swearing under the hood of a car in the garage, and how to properly butter floor tiles and frame a basement.

Now think of the great moms. Harder, right? 

Nope. My mom was absolutely a match for my dad. She was more hands-on than my dad, because she was home. But together they were a force to be reckoned with. There was no playing both ends against the middle. There was no bullshit bickering over who was contributing more or less. She baked bread from scratch, and planted a vegetable garden every year, and did roof repairs herself to make it possible for her to stay home with me and my sisters. She babysat, and took in a little extra money feeding the neighbors' kids lunch every day. 

Watching them together was like watching a well-oiled machine. Every Friday night they'd sit in front of the TV and go through receipts and balance their check-book. Between the two of them, they'd taught me what a credit rating was before I set foot in junior high school. 

It’s not because there are so few great moms

Wiping bottoms and filling sippy cups full of juice on demand doesn't make a great mom. Doing what your instincts dictate and consoling a crying infant doesn't make you a great mom. It just makes you a primary caregiver. 

Sometimes being a great mom involves making your kids walk to school, rather than driving them. Sometimes being a great mom involves booting them outside and telling them to be home by dark, rather than enrolling them in an endless array of structured activities they have to be chauffeured to and from. Sometimes it's about being hands-off, rather than hands-on. And not hands-off the way my best friend's mom was, either--you know, the mom who is too tired or apathetic to make an effort to be hands-on. And there are LOTS of them.

it’s because, barring a few bad apples, 

A few? 

most moms are pretty great. 

No, they're not. Most moms are competent. Few would qualify for the Nobel Mom Prize. 

Most moms do drop-off AND cheer at the games AND give baths AND read books and do about a million other tiny things that dads get so congratulated for doing. 

And my dad was lying on his back in the rain under a Peterbilt full of toxic waste when he would 100% have rather been attending my Grade 9 leaving ceremony. Imagine that. Imagine not being ABLE to be there for your kid's first steps, first words, first anything. Imagine instead being the person on whom the financial burden of the household rests. Imagine giving up all those moments to make it possible for your wife to stay home, and then imagine her writing a cunty, resentful article about how you're hardly ever there, and when you are it's treated as special. 

I've got news for you, lady. For way more fathers than mothers, being there to cheer at the game, watch your daughter walk across a stage, read a bedtime story or watch those first steps IS a special occasion. 

My dad worked 70 hour weeks so my mom could stay home when we were small. And he STILL managed to find the time and energy to make a thousand memories with me that were worth remembering. And my mom, instead of playing some toxic game of "who's sacrificing the most" did everything she could to encourage us to spend time together, and make his life at home more comfortable and welcoming than hard pavement under his back in the rain.

The bar is set so high for moms that a “great dad” is a dad who is somewhat involved in their kid’s life, but a “great mom” would have to go far beyond that to get her accolades.

Depends on your definition of a "great dad". What if being a "great mom" was working 40-70 hours a week paying the lion's share of the bills, being the only thing standing between the family and a cardboard box, and still managing to spend quality time with the kids on a regular basis? 

When was the last time you thanked your husband for work he does and the sacrifices he makes, including the bathtimes and bedtime stories, so you can have the opportunity to be just a regular mom? Not a great one, but just an ordinary one? 

As a mom, I worry about so many things. 

And fathers never worry.

What if my kids get sick? 

Yeah, my dad NEVER worried about us kids getting sick. He never worried about us getting hurt. He never worried about us getting sick or hurt while he was off in the field somewhere, 5 hours' drive away, either. Not even once.

What if I get sick? 

Yeah, my dad never worried about getting sick. He certainly never worried about getting injured on the job. Never ever worried about how his family would manage if he wasn't able to work for a week, or a month, or a year, or ever again. Not even once. It's not like he ever went to work the day after breaking his hand, or taking a shard of metal in his eye. It's not like he knew we were depending on him to bring in a steady paycheck.

Do I focus too much on my first-born daughter at the expense of my two younger sons? 

Yes, you did. Call it intuition, but I'm calling it like I see it.

Do I spend enough time with all of them individually? 

Ironically, you're worried over nothing. Individual quality time with each kid is much less important than them seeing you and your husband modelling a cooperative, loving, caring, supportive relationship with each other. 

Are they happy? 

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Stop worrying so much.

Can my too-sweet daughter stand up for herself? 

Not effectively if her mother is any example. Instead, I predict she'll rely on passive aggression and proxy bullying.

Am I on the phone too much around them? 

I don't know. 

When is picture day? 

Who cares? Take your own pictures.

When is our day to bring in snack? 

Tell the school you're not interested, and hand them some cash instead to make up for it, if it's such a problem.

Who’s that mom waving at me? 

Some bitch who thinks she's better than you, I bet.

Oh she’s not waving at me, phew. 

Oh, thank god. 

Are they making friends? 

They would make more friends if you gave them some freedom.

Are they kind? 

They'd be more kind if you allowed them unstructured, unsupervised play time with other kids. 

Are they challenged in school? 

If they're being challenged in school, it's almost certainly not in a good way. This has been true for a LONG time.

Oh no, I’m wearing denim on denim! 

Canadian tuxedo alert! Instead of "oh no!"ing all over the place, just own it and make it work.

How did I leave the house like this? 

Unshowered, legs unshaved, covered in baby vomit, with your shirt inside out? Join the club. We've all been there. Maybe not in denim on denim, but that's more a matter of luck than design.

Is it because I only sleep two hours at a time? 

Probably. But you know, you don't have to worry about it. Eventually, you'll get more sleep. Eventually, you'll either remember to look in the mirror before you leave the house, or you'll stop caring. And that's fine, because none of the people whose judgments you are worried about are able to really hurt you. It's not like showing up at some school event dressed the wrong way, or with sleep goongas in the corners of your eyes or your hair unbrushed is going to cost you your job. 

Telling the school you could give two fucks about snack day, and handing them 20 bucks and telling them to deal with it is not going to cost you your job. When some busybody cunt corners you to demand why you haven't volunteered for this or that school fundraiser, you can tell her to fly a kite and it won't cost you your job. As a mom whose income is primarily brought in by the father of your children (as I assume you are, not that there's anything wrong with that), he's the one person whose opinion you should care about. 

Who gives a fuck what those other moms think? Are you doing right by your kids, who you chose to bring into the world? And since when does that deserve a medal?

And so on.

Thank you for not elaborating further. 

As a dad, my husband worries that raising them in Brooklyn might lead to them becoming Nets fans instead of his preferred Knicks. The end.

I highly doubt that this is the only worry your husband has. Unlike you, he chooses not to burden others with his worries. He jokes about the trivial worries because the real ones are so awful that he chooses to spare you hearing them. 

He worries that he'll die on the job, or on his commute, and how you'd be able to get by. He worries about how you'd be able to manage if he were crippled or got seriously ill. He worries that if that happened, you'd dump him like dead wood and find someone else who can be more useful. He worries about whether he'll be able to juggle your demand for his money with your demand for his time. He's seen friends of his get served with divorce papers because their wives required a lifestyle that necessitated them working long hours, and who then felt neglected. "I want a cabin on the lake! I want a boat! WHY ARE YOU NEVER HOME???!!" I guarantee it. I've seen it. He's worried that while he's at work, some douchebag is hitting on you and might be just convincing enough to lure you away. He worries that his kids are healthy and happy. He worries.

HE JUST DOESN'T VOMIT ALL OF THESE WORRIES ONTO YOU.

I don’t begrudge his lack of worry, 

You don't understand or care about his worry. Fixed that for you.

and if I didn’t exist I’m sure he’d have the burden of thinking about most of the things with which I concern myself. 

You assume he doesn't think about them, but he does. He assumes you have it covered, because you guys are supposed to be team players. 

And if he didn't exist, I'm sure you'd have the burden of thinking about how many hours you have to work this week to make the mortgage payment and the car payment and the utilities and everything else, and you'd be calculating how many hours extra you have to work to pay for that video game the kids want that's only $60, and that's just an hour and a half of work, except it's not because after all the necessities are spoken for you're really only earning $8 an hour. You'd have the burden of knowing that if you decided to flake out and show up in denim on denim with unwashed hair for a week, your boss would put you on notice. That if you decided to be lazy for a few days and phone it in, someone else would be gunning for your job. 

I know this, because I did this, for three years with three kids. It's horrible. Even given that my kids were old enough to get themselves to and from school, and be at home unsupervised, and help with chores and the rest. Even given that I had help from my parents and sister, and that no one was going to come home and bitch me out because the house was a disaster (and it was, holy shit). Just the understanding that I was solely responsible for the financial wellbeing of four people, and if I failed we would all go down the tubes... 

You have no idea how lucky you have it if your husband makes it possible for you to be there every day with your kids, and worry about bullshit things like whether some mom at the school is waving at you, and GET AWAY with wearing denim on denim and not have it impact anything but your ego.

But that means that yes, once a year I expect my husband to bring it and celebrate me as the mother of his children. 

He owes you a "happy mother's day" and a kiss. They're your kids too. And he's obviously doing his part. And while I know it feels like your part is unpaid work, it really isn't. Imagine for one moment what your life would be like without him. Take a moment to understand his role, and appreciate that it is only because of him and what he gives you and your kids that you can indulge in these petty worries and trivial complaints. 

Take a moment to understand that while your work doesn't come with a tax bill and a pay stub, it is being paid for with another human being's sweat and effort. Being the primary breadwinner for a bunch of other people sucks. You should try it some time. But what sucks even worse than being the primary breadwinner is doing it and then having someone demand you give them extra special thanks for the work you're already paying them to do. If he earns substantially more than you do, he's paying you. Not because he has to, but because he values what you do enough to WANT to. And that's not enough for you.

That means he can’t just wake up on the day of and pick a restaurant, it has to be somewhere special, and while I don’t expect a gift (though, it doesn’t hurt), I do expect a nice card with words of appreciation for all I do. 

I am really, really hoping that you guys celebrate Steak and a Blowjob day. Because if you don't, I pity your husband.

It’s not about spending money on me. I’d be just as happy with a nice dinner at home, or other free gestures, but I better see real effort.

Unlike him going to some shitty, soul crushing job every day, then coming home and throwing all the money in a joint account for the two of you to share?

Being a mom has changed me completely. 

Lucky you. 

It’s not just the corny “I’ve never felt this kind of love” thing which, obviously, is true. It changed the way I am in the world. 

It turned you into a neurotic, entitled bitch who cares more about other soccer moms than her own husband?

I have a gravitational pull toward home that precludes me from going too far or staying away too long. 

And your husband valiantly and diligently strives to provide you with the freedom and wherewithal to choose that.

I’m more interested in what my son drew at school than I am in world affairs. I think more about my daughter’s social calendar than my own. And that’s not even getting into the physical changes that motherhood has wrought.
My husband gets to stay mostly the same man he was, and that’s in large part because of me. 

Sure. He gets to continue working. He gets to work longer hours, or at a more burdensome job, in order to provide for more people than just himself. He gets to do all the same difficult, stressful crap he did before you guys had kids, only more of it. What a lucky guy! 

Here you are, saying that when you had kids, it changed you. It changed how you felt, and because of that, you changed how you live. You CHOSE to stay close to home. It's what you claim you want. 

In order for you to be able to do that, your husband has to choose to spend more time or effort at work. If this fulfills him, more power to you both. Lord knows, I know men who are monomaniacal when it comes to work, for whom work exerts that same gravitational pull that you feel toward home. 

But ask yourself. Even if your husband was one of these guys, these monomaniacal workaholics who thrive on work, the way you claim you are regarding being a stay at home mom, would he demand that you "bring it" on Father's Day? Would he demand that you show your appreciation?

You have literally said that you are doing exactly what you want to do with your life right now, and that your husband makes it possible for you to do it. And you're demanding a reward from him for doing what you want to do? Seriously? 

And have you ever, for even a moment, considered that in being the primary breadwinner so you can stay at home, he's doing not what fulfills him, but what fulfills YOU? 

You are literally demanding he appreciate you for taking advantage of his sacrifices so you need not make any of your own. You are getting everything you want from him, and you're requiring he thank you for it.

He’s an amazing dad, what with his cheering and bath-giving, but fatherhood is just not as involved as motherhood. 

I bet you'd be singing a different tune if the money ran out. Because it's awfully hard to be a parent when you're searching the couch cushions for change, and then deciding whether to buy milk or bread. 

My dad wasn't lying on his back on the pavement thinking, "I'm so glad I got out of going to that boring school thing..." He was lying on his back on the pavement thinking, "this is what I have to do for my family." There's very little in life that is more "involved" than risking having your legs run over by cars while fucking with a truck in the rain at 11PM. 

If there’s an issue with the kids, he hears about it — but the details of our kids’ lives get filtered through me.

Like he did when you told him about their first steps, and their first words, and how they went down for a nap on the floor spooning the dog, and how fun it was when you went to the park today. 

All of the worries and concerns are filtered through you, but so are all of the milestones and moments that will never be repeated.

Of course there are dads out there who are full-time parents in the way that has long been the mom’s role. 

Yes, there are.

And they should absolutely be commended for it. 

Yes, they should.

But for most men, Father’s Day isn’t so much a celebration of what they do as an encouragement to keep doing it. 

Yes, stay on that treadmill. Keep performing and not resenting the time and milestones missed. Just keep working so she doesn't have to, and if you're lucky, she won't write some fucked up screed about how you owe her more than you've already given her, because she wiped more bums than you and angsted about how she was dressed in a social situation while you were at work struggling to pay the bills. She sacrifices so much to do exactly what she claims to want to be doing! And the very fact that you make it possible for her to do that means that you don't care enough. Better get on that whole spa day thing. It'll only cost you three hours of time with your kids, right?

Mother’s Day is different, and it’s ok to say so. 

Mother's Day is the day of the year when the largest volume of long distance calls are made. Father's Day is the day of the year when the largest volume of long distance COLLECT calls are made. 

You tell me who's appreciated and who's not.

It’s not crazy that one day of the year the extreme sacrifices mothers make are noted with serious celebration.

You literally said that becoming a mother changed you so that you WANTED to be close to home. Now you're calling doing what you wanted to do a sacrifice? And you're demanding the person who makes it possible for you to do that thank you for it, and thank you above and beyond the thanks you would give him? Seriously?

It’s really the least everyone could do.

I don't know. I was happy with help carrying groceries in, getting a bowl of my favorite soup and an extra bit of money from my adult daughter who lives with me. None of it was expected. It was nice, but frankly, I'd forgotten it was Mother's Day. I'm just not that obsessed with external validation. 

Maybe this is why I have such well-adjusted kids...

39 comments:

  1. I read your blog regularly and was not able to stop myself from commenting on this post.
    sexology clinic in chennai

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good one. As a dad of 2 I really appreciate it. My wife really is aware of the sacrifices I do to make it possible for her to live the life she wants (she works part-time) but it's not common to see that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill Burr covers it all in three minutes…

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hitc8haEu_g

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. "And why would I want to avoid my kids on Mother's Day?"

    Heh. This was covered in a couple episodes of The Middle, and at the end of one, she decides the perfect balance is for her to read her magazine alone, while watching the children getting along in the next room.

    (The show also features the most egalitarian relationship I've seen on sitcoms, though the several Mother's Day episodes definitely lean towards the "lazy husband" trope.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I highly doubt that this is the only worry your husband has. Unlike you, he chooses not to burden others with his worries. He jokes about the trivial worries because the real ones are so awful that he chooses to spare you hearing them."

    Ding ding ding

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't doubt that if the author were childless, she'd say, boo hoo, Mother's Day oppresses and depresses childless women, why doesn't someone pamper me all day for all I do... wah, wah.

    The lack of introspection that leads to whiny and insufferable behavior is what makes it a clear, well-founded, and reasonable idea to avoid spending time with women, NAWALT and all that...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It just sickens and frightens me that articles like this are written with hardly any repercussion to them. It allows women to continue feeling entitled to things that should be expected. You SHOULD be a mother if you have children. Fathers cannot be as proactive as women in this society because of financial obligations.

    I love the way you put everything Karen! At the end of the day, whose opinion matters more than your own child's?
    Thank you for writing this!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is this her?

    https://twitter.com/karol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Made up for every gushy sentimental Mothers Day sermon I've ever had to endure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Made up for every gushy sentimental Mothers Day sermon I've ever had to endure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. The woman who wrote the original Mothers Day article really sounds like an entitled piece of work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Karen,

    It's been a while since I heard the story, but, as I recall it, Mother's Day was originally called "Mothers' Day of Service." The woman who originated it, together with a group of friends, dumped the kids on their husbands for a Sunday, and put in a day of community service. (Along the lines of cleaning and painting a hospital, or something mushy and sentimental like that.)

    It's fun to imagine the original writer's reaction to such a celebration. "Glad you're here, you're in charge of moving scaffolding and drop cloths, once we get the place scrubbed..."

    Thanks for the article.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My wife doesn't hassle me about this kind of crap. But she also works and has little interest in the petty shit of the neighborhood housewives.

    Naturally they exclude her and our son from play dates. So instead we hang with other families where the mothers, by no coincidence, also have a work/life balance.

    There's nothing wrong with acknowledging familial contributions, but this lady was so entitled. Just awful really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the article was sometimes rude, but she wasn't spoken about all the mothers, she was spoken about the one who wrote the Mother's day article and the ones who think in the same way, I'm happy for you to have that wife, you was so lucky.

      Delete
  14. Basically Katharina's monologue at the end of Taming of the Shrew, but for ungrateful wives/mothers.

    I loved this, and it has changed the way I look forward to fatherhood.

    ReplyDelete
  15. "They work very long hours and have no lives other than their work. They are on four-year contracts that mean they don’t get to see their families in that time. What kind of existence is it when you are sharing your bedroom with 15 other women?" (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2817191/62p-HOUR-s-women-sleeping-16-room-paid-make-Ed-Harriet-s-45-Feminist-Looks-Like-T-shirts.html)

    Considering this and other working-class women experiences, is it any wonder feminism simply cannot get working-class women in, no matter what?

    "Intersectional feminism" has managed to attract a few privileged black or Asian women, but you have to wonder why working-class women are loathe to see the burden of working long hours to support your family, as a privilege.

    ReplyDelete
  16. weak erection and premature Ejaculation problem is not just embarrassing but it will make you live an abnormal life.I got the medication from Dr Alegbe which My husband used,and it is a permanent cure with no side effect. now we are living fine and he is very good on bed now,Dr Alegbe can also cure Staph Diabetes and cancer contact the Doctor on +2349027116105 or alegbe3@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. We are manufacturers, supplier and traders and exporters of ladies footwear. We have professional experience of more than 10 years manufacturing in delhi.ladies footwear manufacturers in delhi http://ashimafootwear.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. While I generally agree with your viewpoints, here and everywhere, I think you are falling into the trap of swinging over to the extreme. Feminists are generally6 toxic, yes, but you are blinded by that in your excessive anti-feminism and pro-man outlook. There are, and have been, shitloads of shitty fathers and men out there and feminists have ruined civil society first by correctly exposing, then wrongly by making a mega-issue, out of it. Could it all have been done differently? Probably not. We have to return to common sense, if we ever had it in the first place.

    It looks to me as if you want to sweep men's depredations of women under the rug, especially in the not-too-distant past. Not all men are wonderful fathers, as yours was. Women had to pick up the slack for cheaters, alcoholics, self-centered egotists, etc. And this went on far more than the reverse. Acknowledging these things doesn't make a person a feminist or a self hating man.

    Not all domestic situations are as black & white as your own upbringing seems to have been.

    Thank you for letting me have my say. And while I'm here, I dislike both mothers and fathers day. It's all too artificial and everyone involved has expectations placed on them that are not right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Women had to pick up the slack for cheaters, alcoholics, self-centered egotists, etc. And this went on far more than the reverse."

      Bull.

      Delete
    2. 'Women had to pick up the slack for cheaters, alcoholics, self-centered egotists, etc. And this went on far more than the reverse."

      Bull.

      Delete
    3. The point that most such situations involve women who choose to have kids with those "men" seems to be lost here.

      Delete
    4. Women who decide what "real" men are like and have kids with "men" who act that way should think twice before complaining about them

      Delete
  19. great maternity related article, i've been following your blog for some time now
    http://maternity101.org/best-maternity-leggings/

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't know but I always thought that Mothers Day was just another of these trite phony holidays people celebrated because our society has been on self destructive guilt trip for a very long time. It also seemed like one of those cash cow days. Interestingly enough the Woman who came up with the idea of Mothers day found herself fighting to get rid of the holiday after it was recognized. I don't care much for Fathers Day either or any of a host of other phony contrived holidays like Valentines day, Earth day, Womens Day, ad-nauseam. Any legal Holiday should be one which goes to the core of the Identity of the nation state promoting it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Speaking as an expat Brit who has lived in Ecuador for around 12 years...

    I don't claim to grok the obsession that Ecuadorians (and I guess to some degree Latins in general) have with Mothers' Day, and with motherhood in general, but it strikes me as culturally interesting and deserving of wider reading (which I don't have time for). Here, most mothers can expect to be woken by a mariachi serenade hired at considerable expense, followed by flowers, meals out, a party, etc. More interestingly still, if I ask my students (at any time of year) to name "one person who has influenced you or been important in your life", it's usually a seventy-thirty split between "my Mum" and "Jesus Christ". Mums are worshipped, at least ceremonially and culturally. What's interesting to me is that this veneration for motherhood is part of a culture which is regularly accused, and regularly accuses itself, of being dysfunctionally "machista". I don't see this as contradictory, exactly, but it is at the very least paradoxical, since machismo is alleged to be about devaluing or belittling women, according to the standard feminist account. In a country where a sizeable proportion of women are already mothers by their sixteenth birthday, that leaves, surely, very few non-maternal women to "belittle" with a free conscience. That's why I don't think machismo, or worse, "patriarchy" are useful descriptors in this culture, which strikes me as, if anything, markedly matriarchal - mothers are the primary authority figure in most people's lives for most of the time, whereas fatherhood is, in practice, almost a synonym for "absence" or "irrelevance". Unfortunately, a by-product of such a culture is an excessive concern with social roles, with appearances and with obedient conformity, and a lack of emotional maturity and self-reliance, manifest most markedly in politics... hence Venezuela (nor are we out of it).

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yes! Great blog Karen! I found my way here after seeing your video about GiGi browbeating her boyfriend as they comment about the Redpill documentary. You got right to the heart of the matter, a welcome breath of fresh air. Keep up the great thinking. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I forgot to highlight my favorite comment:
    "Can my too-sweet daughter stand up for herself?

    Not effectively if her mother is any example. Instead, I predict she'll rely on passive aggression and proxy bullying."

    Loved that observation!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yes! Great blog Karen! I found my way here after seeing your video about GiGi browbeating her boyfriend as they comment about the Redpill documentary.

    โกลเด้นสล็อต
    goldenslot

    ReplyDelete
  27. I know this is one of several important knowledge for me. And I'm inspired studying your article. But should mention on some usual things, the website style is excellent; the articles are excellent. Thanks for the ton of actual and reachable help.
    Free Mothers Day Images 2019

    ReplyDelete
  28. Excellent Post. I must appreciate you for this superb post. It’s hard to find good quality writing like yours now a days. Keep it up the good work. Take care.
    Mothers Day Ideas 2019

    ReplyDelete
  29. If you continue to provide the same nature of escort services, you must ensure that there are some of the best agencies available in each breadth and length. There are benefits that are important when it comes to resorting to the accompanying services offered by the agency.
    Ludhiana Escort service
    Nainital Escort service
    Gurgaon Escort service
    Jodhpur Escort service
    Noida Escort service
    Dehradun Escort service
    Chandigarh Escort service

    ReplyDelete
  30. If you are in Gurugram and looking a companion for hangouts and funs. We are here for sexual services by independent house wife and college escort models. Our girls know how to satisfy your hidden erotic dreams. Visit here www.gurgaonhotcollection.com erotic services. Ghc giving option in-call and out-call girls services.
    Our escort services
    Gurgaon escorts
    Gurgaon call girls
    Gurugram escort services
    Gurgaon escorts pictures
    Book Russian escort in gurgaon
    free classified escort websites

    ReplyDelete
  31. If you are planning to visit Jodhpur for business purposes or with friends, then Jodhpur Escorts welcome you to our city. We are here to serve you all Physical intimate sexual pleasure with our hotties. If you are feeling alone then Hire Jodhpur Call Girls at one call.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting policy:

All comments are welcome here. I refuse to censor points of view that differ from my own.

I recognize that I may be challenging the deep-seated beliefs of some people, and perhaps stirring up emotions in others. However, I would ask:

- if you care to respond to anything that I have said, please do not simply link to or quote some statistic. Do not simply regurgitate things you have been told are true. Think about what I am saying. Respond with an argument. Offer something from your personal observations, and explain to me how you feel your statistic is connected to your experience.

- If you wish to be part of a discussion, try not to dismiss what I or a another commenter says out of hand. Yes, that means that some lines of thought or ideologies may not stand up to scrutiny (perhaps even my own).

- Remember, ad hominem attacks diminish everyone involved. If you want to criticize anything, do so passionately and directly - but debate is about attacking ideas, not people.

Have at you!